Asbestos: Nothing to Play With

Asbestos: Nothing to Play With

Asbestos is a naturally occurring mineral that is mined from the ground. In the early 1900s, it was used in thousands of products, including construction materials, cigarette filters, and insulation for RVs. Because of this, a wide range of people were exposed to this mineral.

Asbestos spores imbed themselves in your lungs and create scar tissue. Over time, after these spores have settled for between 30 to 40 years, they can slowly develop into mesothelioma, a rare form of lung cancer that cannot be cured.

Mesothelioma spreads through the body fast and it cannot be stopped. The only care that is available for mesothelioma is comfort care and tumor removal.  It is extremely rare for anyone to recover from mesthelioma, or go into remission from the disease.

Asbestos is Not a Thing Of the Past

Unfortunately, asbestos is not a thing of the past. It is still present in millions of homes worldwide. Not only is it present in older homes, but the use of asbestos has been regulated but not banned. Many types of insulation, pipes and other materials are still made using at least some asbestos, which is why construction workers wear masks when working with these materials.

Asbestos Testing Kit

If you are concerned about the possibility of asbestos in your home, you can have a professional come in and test your home for asbestos related materials. If you cannot afford a professional to test for these materials, you can purchase a test kit yourself and perform the tests.

At any time when you are scraping, pulling or testing you should wear a mask. This is because as soon as asbestos is touched, it releases spores into the air, which can be hazardous to your health.

Asbestos Safety

It is important that you do not come into contact with wet asbestos, especially with your skin. If you have any material that is suspected to contain asbestos that must be removed from your home it is important to hire a licensed contractor to remove it.

If the asbestos is wet, the contractor may place a dehumidifier in that area of your home to dry out the air and the materials. A dehumidifier draws the moisture out of the air, in turn, helping the materials dry faster.

A portable dehumidifier that is considered professional grade should only be used by professionals. This is because they are extremely powerful and can dry out an entire house in a matter of days.

Living with Asbestos

You should never live in a house that has known, exposed asbestos, especially if you have small children. Ensure that you have a professional examine any material that may be asbestos, or that you test for it yourself with an approved asbestos test kit.

With the proper precautions, it is possible to make exposed asbestos safe, but this should only be done by a licensed professional and only in a controlled setting.  A contractor will know the proper methods of approach for this type of job.

Asbestos: Nothing to Play With Credit Picture License: gruntzooki via photopin cc